- Since July 2005, the Philippine Government has not appointed a Secretary for the Department of Education leaving it without set leadership for almost a year.
(as of 1 June 2006)
- Only 1.3% of the Philippine budget goes to health
- 33% of our country's budget goes straight to debt
- Only 15% of our budget goes to Education
- 10- 20% of our budget is unaccounted for
- 32% goes to government salaries.
In our world today:
- 115 million school-aged children are not in school
- 56 percent of them girls
- 94 percent of them in developing countries
- 33 million young people cannot read or write
- Only 37 of 155 developing countries have achieved universal primary school completion
But it doesn't have to be that way anymore.
The world now has the financial resources and know-how to end extreme poverty. All that is lacking is the political will to change the status quo.
Educate to end poverty!
Source: Social Watch Philippines MDG report and Millennium Campaign website.